Hi, book buddies. Today I'm very happy to be hosting a guest post from creative author Kelsey Ketch as part of her book tour for Son of Set, her second novel in Descendants of Isis. I've read both books and reviewed them here not long ago. Worth it, believe me.
Top 10 Assets to Become a Cool Egyptian God
1. Stunningly Good Looks: A god’s image is that of perfection. They look neither too old nor too young. Their body is at the peak of their physical physic; slender and well-toned. Their skin is a perfect golden tan, and always warm to the touch; like it has permanently been touched by the rays of the sun.
2. Advanced Knowledge: One thing Egyptian gods are known for is having bestowed knowledge to the people of Egypt. Thoth taught them how to write. Isis and Osiris taught how to irrigate the land and make wine and bake bread. Isis also taught remedies and medicine.
3. Heka or Magic: Though it is dependent on the role they play, each god has their own set of gifts which they can use. Being the goddess of magic, Isis’s power includes the ability to heal, seeing into the future, and with the secret name of Ra, the power of creation. Set’s gifts, on the other hand, focus on his position as god of the dessert and Ra’s protector from the demon Apep (advancing his physical abilities such as strength). Then darkness consumed his heart, and his abilities turned toward manipulation and causing chaos.
4. Symbols of Power: Osiris has his crook and flail. Set uses his was scepter. They are very much like wands, which can direct their magic. But they can also be used to manipulate their environment and allow them to do more than their natural abilities would permit.
5. Unusual Eyes: Not only are gods’ eyes unique in color, when in true form, but the whites also glow. It is the light of their power. It also can be used as a gauge of their temper and control. The more intense their emotions, the less control they have over their powers.
6. Shape Shifting Abilities: Almost every Egyptian god is associated with a specific creature, such as Anubis and the jackal. These are the animals which they have connected with and can take the form of. But also others gods and goddess, such as Isis and even her sister, Nephthys, who have been known to shift into animal or even other human-like forms.
7. The Ability to Move between Worlds: Whether physically or spiritually, gods must be able to move between (and even through) the living world, Duat, and Amenti. Many gods use false doorways as portals for their souls, and then possess a shadow (a statue or image left in the living world). Others, like Ra, have the ability to move through what are called Gates of the Horizons to move through the layers of Duat and bring forth another day.
8. Dream Manipulation: Though Thoth is most known for this ability in historical records, all the gods can control a mortal’s dreams. They mainly use it to send messages to their followers or lead people to their destiny. But others use it for more invasive purposes, like to alter a person’s emotions or their thought patterns.
9. Followers: You can’t be a god without followers. They are the ones that worship you and protect your name and shadow. They are the keepers of the houses and temples; the caretakers of the gods statues, images, and relics; and the providers of worldly needs, including food and drink. Without them, a god wouldn’t be a god.
10. Eternal Life: This isn’t the same immortality. Eternal life is that a god’s or goddess’s name and shadow live on. This can be through hieroglyphics, temples, images, and/or statues. But once a name or their image is completely destroyed everywhere, then the god is erased from existence.
I'm sure I'd relish having a couple of those powers. Mmm, the ability to move between worlds? That must be amazing! But, wait, what about having followers to do you bidding, or eyes that could hypnotize every single person, or so much knowledge that you could create anything from scratch? Wow.
The last thing Natara “Natti” Stone wants to do is to start anew at Setemple High School. She wished she had never left London. Yet the brutal murder of her maternal grandmother has made her life very complicated. The only clue related to her murder is an ancient, encrypted necklace Natti discovered after her grandmother’s death. And if trying to adjust to American life is not enough, Natti is being stalked by a mysterious, charming high school senior, Seth O’Keefe, who is annoyingly persistent in his attempts at seduction.Seth O’Keefe is secretly a member of the Sons of Set, an order that worships the Egyptian god of chaos. Seth’s blessing from Set, his “charm,” never failed, except with one person: Natti Stone. Her ability to elude him infatuates and infuriates him, and he becomes obsessed with the chase. But the closer he gets to her, the more his emotions take a dangerous turn, and he risks breaking one of the most valued covenants of his order. The punishment for which is a fate worse than death.The adventure this unlikely couple becomes engulfed in could cost them their lives and their souls.
Amazon – Barnes & Noble – Kobo – Smashwords
Seth O’Keefe has broken the laws of his god. He never thought he would sacrifice his own future to protect a Daughter of Isis. But when the Sons of Set discovered Natti is the Secret Keeper, he had no choice. Now, Seth and Natti are on the run from his father, who wants nothing more than to see Seth dead. With no allies, Seth turns to the Daughters of Isis for help, hoping they would protect Natti. But when they meet the Daughters, he discovers a secret that puts both their lives in more danger. Low on options, Seth sees only one possibility for survival. He must help Natti solve an ancient puzzle and find the secret name of Ra.Natara “Natti” Stone is having a hard time swallowing the truth. She can’t believe what she has learned in the past twenty-four hours: Seth is a Son of Set blessed with charm; she is a Daughter of Isis blessed with a sliver of Ma ‘at; the locket her grandmother gave her holds an ancient Egyptian secret linking to Osiris and Isis. That along with being tortured and brutalized by the Sons of Set, she can hardly hold herself together. Thank God for Seth’s touch! That warm, tingling sensation that drowns it all out. Yet her heart struggles to stay focused. She must quickly embrace her destiny before the secret name of Ra falls into the wrong hands.
Amazon – Barnes & Noble – Kobo – Smashwords
The mind behind the books
During her high school years, Kelsey Ketch could always be found tucked away in a little corner of the hall or classroom, writing her fantasy worlds and creating illustrations and maps. Today is no different, except now she’s writing in the break room at her office building or at the tables of the Barnes and Noble Café in Cary, North Carolina. She is also an avid reader, a part-time book blogger at Ketch’s Book Nook, and lives with her two orange tabbies and awesome and humorous flat-mate. For more information, please visit her site at kelseyketch.com.
The awesome giveaway
Did you enjoy today's post? If you want to read my reviews of both books, here they are :o)